Resurrecting my Yo!

sketchy

5341219780_b460178530_m.jpg

My old White Industries crank with Middleburn rings.

sketchy

5450970329_401a267bbd_m.jpg

Ta Da! Here's a crappy pic I snapped this morning on the maiden voyage of my Yo Eddy. A few things I noticed after not riding this thing for more than ten years- the handling is super quick and the position has to be responsible for all of the back problems I ever had! Please excuse the horrible stem but I haven't had the chance to build the bull moose bars I have planned and it was super cheap on e-bay. The IRD thumb shifters seem to work pretty good and the Paul brakes are really powerful. Over all it felt great to be back on one of my most favorite bikes ever. I promise more and better pics when the weather is better and all the crappy snow is gone.

sketchy

Thanks guys! Seeing as my home computer is messed up for the time being and the only way I have to post pics is with my ipod, I thought I would post a link to my coworkers flickr page of some pics he took of my bike. He also has a bunch of cool photos of stuff going on here at Seven as well.

sketchy

I've finally had the opportunity to hit the trails with this thing and all I can say is who wants to buy a Yo Eddy? I guess 10 years, 20 pounds, two herniated discs and a necrotic hip joint would make this thing a tad uncomfortable for me now. I don't know how I ever rode this thing for more than 15 minutes across a flat parking lot back in the day but after 2 hours of local single track I was nearly crippled. But I have to say I looked damn good. Actually the bike looked good. I looked like a fat crippled guy trying to relive his youth and failing spectacularly.

tvcreative

there goes 8 months of work

I am cracking up...

put some big fat cushy tires on - and a riser bar...you'll feel better.

take a picture of the old bike - properly finished first for prosperity.

then ride

ride

and ride

the old bones will adjust.

Oh yea keep modern bike in the wings for the narly

signed, 49 year old

Jim

sketchy

So I decided that as much as I love my Yo Eddy, it would be nice to have a bike to ride where I wouldn't be bed ridden for a month afterwards so I built myself a new bike. I like to think of it as a modern interpetation of my Yo Eddy. At least it's the same color.

6318967337_0f4e20ed38_m.jpg

I switched most of the parts over and I have a flashy set of wheels on the way. Tubing is a special blend, i.e. whatever I had laying around, of True Temper and Columbus.

BostonBobby

Wow!!!

That looks SICKKKKKKKKK!!!! And by sick I mean AWESOME! IDK if I seen this thread o and unconsiciously pictured my ML Yo like that or what.. But thats EXACTLY What ive been picturing and I just got a old Barracuda for all its Purple components to put on it!
Are you in Boston? What shop does that Paint? The paint and stickers match so good together! That bike could be hung in a frame! Very good job all around! Thanks

sketchy

Hey Boston Bobby-

The powder coating was done by Sugarcoat, which is part of Geekhouse, located in Allston. Marty is a big Fat City fan and they do a nice job.

WVEddy

Too funny!

I've finally had the opportunity to hit the trails with this thing and all I can say is who wants to buy a Yo Eddy? I guess 10 years, 20 pounds, two herniated discs and a necrotic hip joint would make this thing a tad uncomfortable for me now. I don't know how I ever rode this thing for more than 15 minutes across a flat parking lot back in the day but after 2 hours of local single track I was nearly crippled. But I have to say I looked damn good. Actually the bike looked good. I looked like a fat crippled guy trying to relive his youth and failing spectacularly.

This is pretty funny, only cause I felt the same way. I thought I was just soft after riding a big squishy for several years. I have no idea how anyone rides a full rigid bike, short of a road bike. I guess being old and having broken way too many parts of me is paying its toll.

rmp

My 29er (a non-suspension corrected Slingshot at the moment) has also kind of done this to my Fat. I still ride it (My Wicked) around town and the neighborhood, but for any sort of epic ride the 29er would be my first choice over a low-front end, rigid 26er. Even one as beloved as my Fat.

Zamfir

I've found that the old school stance with full rigid only starts to hurt me at around 12 miles when every bump seems to be magnified.

Up until that 12 miles it's all good and immensely enjoyable, more so than the laid back beach cruiser position of modern full sussers...

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
I had opportunity to ride FOR THE FIRST TIME a couple modern full suspension bikes yesterday, and I know what you mean.

Incidentally, this was also the first time I have spent any significant trail time on disc brakes. Not bad, them. But the squishy-squishy was a little ride-deadening. Guess that's the point tho....