Nerdy Q for U

bonsaii

Characteristics of MA and NY produced FAT..

Are there frames that were produced, partly or total in MA, but got serial number in NY? Or was tubes and other building components transported from MA, and assembeled in NY?

Reason for this question is a NY frame I have, which has the MA produced bullit ends on the backstays tubes. I've noticed that Vibs Betty have welded bullits, but the NY Yo doesn't.. Could this Yo be an over-ride from the MA production site?

I-ROBOT

Hey Bonsaii

Sorry I've haven't been around the site much lately.

It is not likely that any frame that was at least tacked welded together in Somerville would have had a serial number applied in NY. The first order of business was to stamp serial numbers in the BBs before anything went on the frame jig.

It is possible that stamped BBs that had not been installed into frames may have gone to NY and then built up into frames but very unlikely for the other way around unless they pulled out the BBs from tacked frames and re-numbered them. I have no idea what went on out there.

All of the tubing inventory was shipped to NY along with all of the frames that were in progress. There were probably at least a couple hundred that were in various states of completion when the power company walked in and pulled the fuses and locked the electrical panels. Hard to believe that was 15 years ago now.

Hope this answers your question.
Scott "I-Robot" Bengtson
Fat City Somerville Chief Welder
1986 - 1994

bonsaii

Ah, nice..

Thanks for such a good answer to my question, Fat guru. So cool to have people like you around! :)

Hey Bonsaii

Sorry I've haven't been around the site much lately.

It is not likely that any frame that was at least tacked welded together in Somerville would have had a serial number applied in NY. The first order of business was to stamp serial numbers in the BBs before anything went on the frame jig.

It is possible that stamped BBs that had not been installed into frames may have gone to NY and then built up into frames but very unlikely for the other way around unless they pulled out the BBs from tacked frames and re-numbered them. I have no idea what went on out there.

All of the tubing inventory was shipped to NY along with all of the frames that were in progress. There were probably at least a couple hundred that were in various states of completion when the power company walked in and pulled the fuses and locked the electrical panels. Hard to believe that was 15 years ago now.

Hope this answers your question.
Scott "I-Robot" Bengtson
Fat City Somerville Chief Welder
1986 - 1994

lucifer

My buckshaver has a mass serial number and is a 94 based on the number but the color of the paint and the decals are all correct for a NY bike from 96.