89 Fat Chance Team Comp

M3mark

Bought it new back then, and built it up with the cool parts of the day ( IMHO)
I still love it. Can't see why I would change a thing...
down tube decals peeled years ago.
New here. Thought I would share.
m~

Edit: see Rides and Galleries under Community

Last edited:

I-ROBOT

Hey Mark
Great photos in your gallery and thanks for the "Welding Art" tribute. It still means a lot to me that my work is valued after so many years.
Hope you get to ride her for at least another 22 years!
(and don't hold the fact that I'm a Bruins fan against me, OK?)
Thanks
Scott

M3mark

I had an 88 Wicked that I bought from my friend Wes, who worked at Fat for a short time. I loved the bike, but it was a bit small for me despite long seat post and stem. I met Chris at the Anaheim bike show the summer of 89 and I had to have a Team Comp! That's the last year FC made them, before transitioning to the sloping top tube, Yo Eddy style.

You'll love this Scott: After my 3 hour morning ride on Monday, I stopped for a coffee at my favorite spot. Twice in about 20 minutes guys stopped to admire the TC and explain why it was so cool to their indulgent female partners. One guy spent a good five minutes admiring the details, noting how it is still so close to original. You don't see this kind of care and skill in custom frames much anymore.

Kudos.

M3mark

Is that the original paint? Love the color.

Yes, I came up with the three colour fade from the Imron paint card. I think the bottom dark greenish colour was a custom mix. It was done as a sponge paint fade by someone cool at FC ( name escapes me. ) I haven't touched up any dings or scratches, as I don't want to mess with the original look. No rust, so that's good!

M3mark

That's a sweet ride. Very well put together.

Thanks. I know that Suntour XC Pro was a maverick choice even at that time. But it works really well! Greaseguard hubs still run like new. Shifts smooth to this day. Brakes are old school, but I'm used to them. Most bolts, including stem bolt and the brake adjusters are Ti.
My good friend Randall Carr assembled and tweaked it for me. ( see the chainstay decal " Bikes by Carr" in the photos ) I still have the XCPro pedals in a box somewhere, plus the original light green Salsa stem that I never used as it was too long.

Spikes

Looks smashing! I really likethe paint and the setup. Keep her in good shape and ride hard!

M3mark

Thanks. It's been my only bike for a long time. Every time I get tempted to add a bike to my stable, I rationalize that I don't ride my FC enough to justify splitting my ride time with another bike.

I hope it's sunny tomorrow!

M~