pls provide info on this Fat Chance.

sargon97

I assume this is a Fat Chance frame from around 89 or 90. I am also guessing that the fork was a later add on.

Any thoughts on this. Also how did the Fat Chance ride compared to the wicked and the yo eddy? Is the frame as desirable?

One thing of note is that the frame has a gusset on the down tube.

Am I correct in thinking that this is not a custom job and just a production Fat Chance?

Serial number is 11758S

Thanks, Shawn

Attachments

• DSC02666.jpg
    DSC02666.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC02668.jpg
    DSC02668.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC02669.jpg
    DSC02669.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC02671.jpg
    DSC02671.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC02672.jpg
    DSC02672.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC02681.jpg
    DSC02681.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 18
  • fat-crown.jpg
    fat-crown.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 14

bushpig

I think it looks cool with the Yo fork. As far as desirability, the Yo Eddy is in a class of its own, but as far as ride, many prefer the Fat Chance, Wicked and Wicked lite.

Stock paint.

MikeyNYC

sargon97 said:
I assume this is a Fat Chance frame from around 89 or 90. I am also guessing that the fork was a later add on.

Any thoughts on this. Also how did the Fat Chance ride compared to the wicked and the yo eddy? Is the frame as desirable?

One thing of note is that the frame has a gusset on the down tube.

Am I correct in thinking that this is not a custom job and just a production Fat Chance?

Serial number is 11758S

Thanks, Shawn

Hey Shawn,

That's an interesting set up. I'm sure that others will chime in on with more info based on the serial #, but as far as I know the gusset on the downtube is standard for any Fat City frame from around 89/90 as well as the paint, but not sure about the decals or that fork, which is not usually used with a "Fat Chance" model frame or a Wicked.

Everyone has their personal preferances between each model, but the main differences are the geometry. The "Fat Chance" is my personal favorite, as it has a more laid back head angle of 68 degrees on the pre 1986 models and 69 degrees on the 1986 to 1992 (?) or whatever the last year was that they were made and a fork with a deep rake like that on a touring bike. The Wicked/Wicked Lite (and Team Comp) has a 71 degree head angle and typically less fork rake, so it gave a quicker snappier ride then the "Fat Chance". I do not know as much about the Yo Eddy tubing/geometry or the Titanium Fat Chance geometry, but I do know that they're a lot quicker with a more agressive snappier feel/ride then a "Fat Chance" which is why I would think that fork is way out of character for that frame...Everyone else can now correct my thoughts or please add their knowledge here... :)

Michael-NYC

rick

Fat Chance

Shawn,

I think that Mike said it just about right, that fork is an odd match for the "regular" Fat Chance frame. It would be interesting to know if the fork is suspension adjusted length or not, that will certainly affect the head tube angle and the ride. I don't know that the standard Fat was ever set up for a suspension fork, does anyone else know?
Anyways, you have a cool frame and a very cool fork, regardless of how you choose to uyse them.
Enjoy!

MikeyNYC

rick said:
I don't know that the standard Fat was ever set up for a suspension fork, does anyone else know?

Hey Rick,

No suspension correction was ever offered on a stock "Fat Chance" frame to my knowledge, although some people put early shocky forks on their "Fat Chance" frames, they rode funny...probably sluggish?

:)

Michael-NYC

rick

Michael,

That was what I suspected, thanks for the confirmation.

If you choose to part with the fork you should have no shortage of interested parties. If you build it up with that fork, I would be interested in hearing how it rides.

rick

Jeeves

As I worked my Wicked Fat through its racing career, it had a number of forks on it:

1) stock unicrown fork - bent during a downhill race (yes, we rode downhill races with no suspension back then!!)

2) replaced with manitou 1st gen elastomer fork. Heavy, and pretty much worthless, but raced for a while.

3) replaced, when I came to my senses with a Yo eddy fork....

Just relating this story to explain how, perhaps an old FAT CHANCE ended up with a Yo fork. The forks must have come stock in BLACK - that's what I ended up with. Unfortunately the frame in question is also black! You should be able to tell by the sheen of the paint whether one is newer than the other though. BTW, I love the way my old Wicked rides with this fork - it still gets out on the trails a lot, recently more so than my Ti Fat.

-Raj