My Yo: Put aside, never forgotten

Bulleidawg

Since 1993 I’ve been bombing through the toughest most remote trails in the Southern Appalachians on my trusted Fat Chance Yo Eddy. I’ve ridden through tunnels of mountain laurel and rhododendron and countless mountain streams, come across wedding-veil water falls, black bears, packs of feral hogs, long-abandoned stills and grist mills, patches of home-grown weed, and even parked my bike and gone skinny dipping. I’ve smiled and sweated through it all, and never, not once, did I ever wish I were riding a different bike. My Yo Eddy has always been the perfect partner in all of these adventures. The only mountain bike I’ve ever owned and the only mountain bike I’ve ever wanted.

But, alas, I am 47 years old, still riding hard, and finally feeling like the stiffness, precision, efficiency and take-no-prisoners attitude that has made my Yo Eddy the best bike in the world is starting to beat the **** out of me.

So, I did my homework and took my test rides and settled on a Santa Cruz Tallboy for the next chapter of my riding life. If I get one-half the fun and satisfaction out of my Tallboy that I got out of my Yo Eddy, I’ll consider it a success.

Now, before y’all get your feathers ruffled, my Yo isn’t going anywhere. I could no sooner part with it than I could my dog Maggie or my shotgun or my denim jacket or my John Deere 110.

I will take it out from time to time, just like I do so many other things that I have put aside but never forgotten, when I need a reminder of just how great my life has been.

God bless y’all. And Happy Holidays.

Attachments

• my_bikes_web.jpg
    my_bikes_web.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 153

Bulleidawg

Ok...so which bike would you trust with your life... if you were trying to outrun a hungry chasing black bear ?

I haven't spent enough time on the Tallboy to develop the same level of trust, so I guess I'd pick the Yo.

The black bears aren't so scary; it's the folks growing the pot that you have to look out for here. They don't take kindly to you stumbling upon their livelihood even by accident.

I-ROBOT

Wonder if the new Yo Eddy will have braze ons to clip a 'sawnoff' directly to the frame for such occasions.

I want a mount for the Navy's new laser cannon

Bulliedawg, that's about the nicest compliment for our work that I could ever get. SO glad that you have gotten that much satisfaction

Happy Holidays to all
Scott

Stingercut

Best Yo user review I've ever read.....sure beats the usual...tricked out me ol'Yo as a SS and maaaan....nothing like it for trippin down to *sucks for a latte ;)

fat-tony

Staff member
Bull Mountain? Bear Creek? Ellijay? I love Mt. Biking in the south! Got to love the Yo!

monorchus

Well spoken. I bought my '92 Yo new and rode it hard for 15 years, here in Colorado. Many adventures in Moab, Telluride, and Boulder were had. Many enders too. Age compelled me to buy a Santa Cruz Blur for single track, but I still ride the Yo a couple days a week up the dirt road canyons. It's faded and dented, and the only original equipment left on the beast is the seat post, one Suntour crank, and a Suntour front derailleur. I think I've replaced the press-fit bottom bracket bearings at least five times, and have trouble finding the parts. Got some new stickers, though, and I often get nostalgic compliments from other riders (younger riders, on newer bikes, as they they pass my old a$$). When the Blur wears out, I'll get a 29'er. But I'll still be riding the Yo until I drop dead.....

ameybrook

I think we need to see a photo of this beast. You should have come out to the Colorado Vintage MTB day we had at Betasso last summer!