Slim chance/chris chance questions

toph929

Hey everyone,

So ive been on the lookout for a monster i was going to use for an all around bike but now im starting to lean towards changing my hunt to a slim/chris chance road bike. Reason being i am not able to access the trails as easily and im missing out on alot of nice days to get out and ride. Since im not a roadie ive always road mountains on the streets, slicks/no slicks etc. Its not as efficient or fun as a road bike but i never felt to be a roadie guy. I also have 2 other mountain bikes so this might be a good change.

That is until i saw a single speed vintage road bike with cyclocross tires.... it was sleek, fast, but didnt look like the normal road bike deal. The guy was ripping on it but was just like me, so it made me think - maybe go for a chris chance/slim chance road frame and build the bike to fit my personality (unshaven, hairy legs, fox shorts). I could enjoy the road and still feel good on the bike and not like a roadie type guy (nothing wrong with them just not for me).

So with that boring story said, could anyone let me know the differences between the slim and the chris chance road bikes? Also, im 5'11" and have no clue what size would fit me. If anyone could chime in on that it would also be awesome.

Im just up in the air whether to do mountain on the street or road. If anyone has experienced this confusion im having feel free to chime in haha.

Thanks in advance!

- Chris

tvcreative

you've gone from one hard request...

finding a monster

to now finding a mythical unicorn - in a slim or chris chance...

you just have to keep your eyes open long enough to snap one up when they appear and then disappear.

mainlyfats

I've had a few road bikes, but can't stand the hand position of drop bars.

Nothing wrong with an mtb with slicks IMO, but this is my street bike these days. Two speed 38/48 with a 16T on the back.

Attachments

• Kish1.JPG
    Kish1.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 41

toph929

Haha yes i of course pick prob 2 of the hardest ones to find (except i think the bro eddy). If it comes down to it eventually i would go with a yo if i ran across one that i liked if i couldnt pass it up and keep waiting.

I never got into the positioning of road bikes either, but i like the bigger rims and the efficiency of them vs mtb on slicks. But i also like mountains cause of the curb hopping factors (esp in crazy situations). I guess i will just wait to see what pops up on the site and go from there.

Thats a sweet setup by the way!

could anyone let me know the differences between the slim and the chris chance road bikes?

Chris Chance was making road frames under the Chris Chance name I beleive from '77-'82. When he formed Fat City Cycles in 1982 he started making mountain bikes under the Fat Chance name of course. Years later he relaunched his road bikes under the Slim Chance Name. FCC never sold a lot of Slim Chances. Part of the reason was attributed to the type of buyer for road bikes vs. mt bikes was very different. Roadies tend to be more conservative and less likely to go for the Fun Slim Chance Branding. Chris realized in the late '90s and decided to re-brand the road bikes as Chris Chance. Beyond that I don't know the difference between the different years. There is (or was) a gorgious Slim Chance 56cm that might fit you on Montgomery, Alabama Craigslist with fully campy record group about a week ago. The seller claims it has fewer than 100 miles. I saw pictures and it looks like a brand new bike. $1250 + shipping.

laffeaux

... Slim Chance Branding. Chris realized in the late '90s and decided to re-brand the road bikes as Chris Chance. Beyond that I don't know the difference between the different years.

The 1990's Chris Chance frames were the next generation of the Slim Chance frames. The Chris Chance model had slightly over-sized tubing which in theory made it stiffer, and it came with a "Yo Eddy Road" fork instead of the unicrown on the Slim.

I used to own a Chris Chance and loved it. I regret selling it.

As far as the OP goes, give road biking a chance. It's fun. But ditch the Fox shorts, they catch air and make pedaling harder.

toph929

The 1990's Chris Chance frames were the next generation of the Slim Chance frames. The Chris Chance model had slightly over-sized tubing which in theory made it stiffer, and it came with a "Yo Eddy Road" fork instead of the unicrown on the Slim.

I used to own a Chris Chance and loved it. I regret selling it.

As far as the OP goes, give road biking a chance. It's fun. But ditch the Fox shorts, they catch air and make pedaling harder.

Thanks for all the info so far with this. I am still thinking about it and maybe i will give road biking a chance if i can get a slim/chris frame and maybe do it into a singlespeed with some different handlebars (im not a curved fan). I have 2 mtbikes so maybe a sleek classic road set up a little different would be nicer on the pavement than a mtb. I guess its just a waiting game. Or i put myself in debt for both!! :beer::beer:

If you were 5'11" then a 56cm is pretty much around the size?

Thanks for that heads up on the slim, it was gone when i checked :(

moab89

Slim

Don't know if you are still looking. I am 6' 0" and have a 58 SC. It fits well but does have toe overlap, and I only wear a size 45. I've had it since 1993 (orig owner) and still ride it a couple times /mo. Steel Derosa is my main ride. I went from 100% mtn (89 Wicked) to 90% road and now about 50/50. Both are great sports w/ some crossover benefits. You don't always ride in the drops- usually just on 40-50 mph downhills or when fighting a headwind. A nice road bike is way more fun on the road.

toph929

Hey Moab thanks for the info with the sizing. Im with you, i went from mountain all the time, then no time to drive to the trails so road, then mountain again now no time so its road. I agree with you on a good road bike being more fun on the road. Everyone i know told me that a mountain on the street is no comparison or nearly as much fun vs a road. Eventually im going to get a road bike and use the mtns strictly for the trail.