Nakid Fats and the stories they tell...

rody

Hey guys,

I made a post on my blog about this not too long ago, but thought it deserved mention here as well.

I see a lot of Fat's without their clothes on when I do repairs or repaints, so I'm pretty familiar with the quality of work that can be expected from them.

I had a revelation though last week, Had my first Monster come in the door for some work and I have to say, it is probably the best constructed Fat of all the models I've seen.

Nice tight miters allowed for very clean and small welds, super straight, and just was very nicely finished from a fabrication standpoint. The mono stay allows for a lot of that, being that the single tube can be more easily cut and positioned than two opposing seat stays. Regardless, made me feel good just to look it over. Gotta be one of the unsung heros of the company.

I know which Fat I'll be looking for in the future. ;)

cheers,

rody

IF52

Do you have decals for them? I just picked one up and it maybe will need a new suit soon. I sent an e-mail about a fork for it as well.

colker

Hey guys,

I made a post on my blog about this not too long ago, but thought it deserved mention here as well.

I see a lot of Fat's without their clothes on when I do repairs or repaints, so I'm pretty familiar with the quality of work that can be expected from them.

I had a revelation though last week, Had my first Monster come in the door for some work and I have to say, it is probably the best constructed Fat of all the models I've seen.

Nice tight miters allowed for very clean and small welds, super straight, and just was very nicely finished from a fabrication standpoint. The mono stay allows for a lot of that, being that the single tube can be more easily cut and positioned than two opposing seat stays. Regardless, made me feel good just to look it over. Gotta be one of the unsung heros of the company.

I know which Fat I'll be looking for in the future. ;)

cheers,

rody

so,

what's the geometry on monsters like? wicked's short top tube long stays or the yo's? btw... have you ever seen a bro eddy? i never did.

IF52

Same or real close to a Yo! I think the main difference was tubing and obviously the wishbone seatstays

Yo Eddy!

I recall in the beginning it was based on the Wicked and later more on the Yo, what develloped into the Buck at some point.

IF52

I have heard that too. In fact when I posted up a picture of my friends Monster on mtbr.com somebody made a comment about how a few early Monsters looked more like Wickeds, meaning no wishbone, with different decals. Not sure how true that is.

Bssc

Buckshaver was based off the Wicked and the Monster was based off the Yo it is named in honor of a fallen brother of the shop.

The guy who did the mitering for the Buckshavers and Monsters too these two bikes to heart they were a craft of love for a friend.

IF52

actually the monster and the buck are nearly identical and both pretty much share dimensions with the Yo! The main difference is some aspects of the tubeset. The Wicked on the other hand has a shorter top tube and longer chain stays among other things. What I was referring to was a comment I read that when they were working out a new model, the Monster, they toyed around with something closer to a wicked and produced a 'Monster' or two that looked like wickeds. The Monster was tweaked with a different tube diameter here and there and renamed in honor of Pat Egan in 94.

bikinbruce

Monster to Buckshaver

Hi Folks,
IF52 said Monster was renamed to Buckshaver in '94 -
I must have a very early Buckshaver XS. I first rode it Brand new in October '93
Keep on riding the FATS

IF52

Hi Folks,
IF52 said Monster was renamed to Buckshaver in '94 -
I must have a very early Buckshaver XS. I first rode it Brand new in October '93
Keep on riding the FATS

That might be a bit of an over simplification, but for the most part the wishbone stay Monster was tweaked a bit and became the Buck Shaver. The Buck first appears in the 94 catalog IIRC, but we all know that new model year bikes can come out a few months early.

rick

monster fats

the first Monster was indeed a re-badged Wicked, exactly the same frame and fork. As this was their first venture into a lower price point, it was sold with lesser components.
I have an NOS version of this frame set and have only seen 1 or 2 others, probably not many made, sold or remaining.
The next year (?) the more common monostay version was released, with a less expensive Tange fork too (it also had different decals). There was a 3rd version of decals used later, but the frame remained basically the same until repleced by the Buckshave and later the Bro Eddy.
One of my primary rides is a 91 Monster and I really like it; a great deal compared to a new Yo or even a Wicked when new.

rick

IF52

One just sold on eBay for about $120.00 complete bike with period component. I was outbid with about 20 seconds to go and missed entering a higher bid by mere seconds. It was hard to tell the size, auction listed it as 20" center to top of seat tube which would put it at 19.5, but the head tube looked too long for a 19.5

the first Monster was indeed a re-badged Wicked, exactly the same frame and fork. As this was their first venture into a lower price point, it was sold with lesser components.
I have an NOS version of this frame set and have only seen 1 or 2 others, probably not many made, sold or remaining.
The next year (?) the more common monostay version was released, with a less expensive Tange fork too (it also had different decals). There was a 3rd version of decals used later, but the frame remained basically the same until repleced by the Buckshave and later the Bro Eddy.
One of my primary rides is a 91 Monster and I really like it; a great deal compared to a new Yo or even a Wicked when new.

rick