Tange tubing
eek.gif
:

25_12.JPG

Box crown fork for a '92 Fat isn't very common too:

09_12.JPG

Never ever seen this one or similar.

Melvin

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bssc

Want to see more look at any of Johnny T's bikes in the late 80's- mid 90's. Want to see even more look at any race photos from that time frame 60%-80% of the bike races on the pro circuit were Fat's with different paint on them.

Bssssc, uhhhhh, Im not so sure you really know what youre talking about.

John Tomac rode a Fat for one year during his career. The year was 1987.

And 60-80% of the rest of the pros used Fats?? Where did you find this interesting info?

I do know that there was one Fat sponsored rider who road a Ritchey P-23 with Fat Chance stickers. :eek: :( :redface: :mad: :D :kissyface

Bssc

Don't rely on what was painted on the tubes to tell you what the rider rode. Look closely and you will see the the distinctive frames and forks before suspension came into play. Johnny T rode Fat's frames for over 5 years that paint may have been different but I assure you the frames were Fats. With out so many pros riding the frames with others paint on them there would never have bee a Wicked.

MikeyNYC

Cabinet of Curiosities...

Spikes said:
My guess would be 1991, but I could be wrong. I love it: probably worth a lot!

It has the triangular guessets on the inside of the Box Crown Fork, which I believe that they started to use some time after either 1989 or 1990, because my 1988 didn't come with them but my 89/90 Wicked does have them-But I don't recall what year they stopped using the Prestige Tubing for the "Team Comp" which from what I recall was last offered in 1989 or 1990 and was essentially a "Fat Chance" geometry frame made from Prestige Tubing...They also used Prestige on the 10th Anniversary frame in 1992, so maybe this is just a totally custom one-off?

If you look at the chain suck damage on that frame it's a total mess! Prestige tubing is pretty delicate to begin with and someone really did a number on that chain stay, so in my opinion it's not worth as much as it should because it's going to rot or fail if ridden hard:

Attachments

• Chain Sucka.jpg
    Chain Sucka.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 8
Bssc said:
Don't rely on what was painted on the tubes to tell you what the rider rode. Look closely and you will see the the distinctive frames and forks before suspension came into play. Johnny T rode Fat's frames for over 5 years that paint may have been different but I assure you the frames were Fats. With out so many pros riding the frames with others paint on them there would never have bee a Wicked.

Hmmm. Ok, 1986, JT's first full year on the scene. For the first half he rode a chrome Mongoose, certainly not a Fat. It was visually a stock Mongoose frame. At the end of the year he broke a black version of the Mongoose at the Durango National. At that point he commisions Chris C to make him two bikes which he puts Mongoose stickers on for the 87 season. In 88, JT designed his own bike for Mongoose. It was not Fat geometry and you could tell by the features on the frame it was not a Fat unlike the previous year. It had a thread in BB, different dropouts, different seat collar, etc. In 1989, he rode a ti Mongoose made by Merlin. In 1990, he rode for Yeti. So, Im not sure where you got the 5 year thing when its clear it was only one.

I cant think of any other pro riders that had Chris make them frames although it could have happened. Team Specialized had their bikes made by Ibis, Ritcheys of course were made by Ritchey, Yeti of course made by yeti, etc. I guess there could have been a few Fats with different stickers but it definitely wasnt 80% like was mentioned. Anyway... just some info...

Yo Eddy!

MikeyNYC said:
It has the triangular guessets on the inside of the Box Crown Fork, which I believe that they started to use some time after either 1989 or 1990, because my 1988 didn't come with them but my 89/90 Wicked does have them-But I don't recall what year they stopped using the Prestige Tubing for the "Team Comp" which from what I recall was last offered in 1989 or 1990 and was essentially a "Fat Chance" geometry frame made from Prestige Tubing...They also used Prestige on the 10th Anniversary frame in 1992, so maybe this is just a totally custom one-off?

Hi Michael,

Are you sure it was Tange for the Team Comp and the 10th? MBA tests on both the Team Comp and 10th are mentioning TrueTemper. I also heard that from 10th tubing the later Wicked Lite and >94 Yo tubing was derived.

BTW is somebody able to tell whether 10th tubing actually differed from the later Wicked Lite and Yo tubing and if so, in what aspects? What brings me to this question is that I remember there was a max ridersweight for the 10th and there has never been one for the WL & Yo.

Thanks

Melvin

AB

10th

I'm pretty sure that the 10th was made out of True Temper OX 3 tubing.

AB

I was also around MTB racing in 1990+ and don't remember seeing a lot of FAT frames at the pro level.

MikeyNYC

AB said:
I'm pretty sure that the 10th was made out of True Temper OX 3 tubing.

Melvin & AB,

You are both correct, and I stand (or rather sit at the computer) corrected!

The 10th was made out of True Temper OX 3 tubing and it was made in 1992, but I'll tell you all a story about why I thought it was made of Prestige: A good friend of mine who has A LOT of Fat Chances has a 10th Anniversary that was obviously ridden and ridden HARD because it has a lot of dents all over it, and I'm not talking about scratches, I mean DENTS, so I simply forgot about it being made out of True Temper OX 3 tubing and assumed it was Prestige because so many Prestige frames have these dents-I have since referred back to my copy of the 1992 Fat City catalog, which confirms that the 10th was made from True Temper OX 3 tubing!

Back to Prestige and what year this Ebay bike may be from-The last year that I have a record of a "Team Comp" being offered was in 1990 (I have an old price list) and the Wicked/Team Comp were listed as having the same geometry, but the "Team Comp" was $200 more-Does anyone know what this means? I also have a review of the Team Comp from 1984 and it is listed as being made of Prestige Tubing...Also I think that 1990 or 1992 is the last year that Box Crown forks were made...DOES ANYONE KNOW???

Maybe this bike is a 1990 or 1991 and not a 1992?

:)

Michael-NYC