convert yo head tube for 1 1/8" fork

librogrande

hi, I have a mid 90's yo eddy, made in new york with a 1" head tube.
I was wondering about asking a steel frame builder to replace the head tube for use with 1 1/8" forks.
is this possible/practicable? or any suggestions on a light, good quality 1" suspension fork?
thanks

mainlyfats

hi, I have a mid 90's yo eddy, made in new york with a 1" head tube.
I was wondering about asking a steel frame builder to replace the head tube for use with 1 1/8" forks.
is this possible/practicable? or any suggestions on a light, good quality 1" suspension fork?
thanks

Possible but not practical as it's costly once painted/stickered and not what any Fat collector would want down the line.

Sell the Fat Chance and buy something new.

The best 1" suspension is a big tire.

DC

Possible but not practical as it's costly once painted/stickered and not what any Fat collector would want down the line.

Sell the Fat Chance and buy something new.

The best 1" suspension is a big tire.

x2 couldn't of put it better.

IF52

While I have also pondered this, I agree that it just isn't worth modifying the frame to go 1 1/8th. And as mentioned WB will build you a shorter travel 1" fork, though it won't be cheap. So, if you want a modern bike, buy a modern bike

But, all that said, by 93 or so it is just not true that the typical Yo rolled out the door with a rigid fork. This is an overly romanticized myth, at least in my neck of the woods at the time. And as I have said before, by 93/94-95 we sold more Fats than just about everybody else in the world. A customer frame may have arrived at the shop with a rigid fork (not usually) but it rarely rolled out the door on one unless the customer was building on a thin budget. We had the benefit of having one of Fat's pros working at our shop and used his bike as a reference point for customer builds. Therefore, what Earl's bike had, many a customers' bikes had.

Also, while I like full rigid, I'm to old for that sacrifice anymore.

mattb

Hello, I have the Magic 80 from white brothers. I bought it for my 93 Yo Eddy, It's a great fork Like a Sid but stiff. If your frame is not suspension corrected this fork isn't going to work, you need to find an early 63 mm suspension fork. I ended up with a NOS Marzocchi Zokes, It's ok and doesn't wreak havoc with the geometry. I am going to get a proper rigid fork on the bike instead when I can. The White Brothers is now on My 95 Independent Fabrications deluxe #007 where it will stay. It's a very fine fork but very expensive. The people at white brothers were great to work with. Bon Courage!