Box Crown Fork info

Retro Dude

Hi Guys - Could someone with a box crown fork take some dimensions for me please? I'm thinking about having one made and first need to get the builder a design drawing.

The dimensions needed are:

- Crown width (outside of fork blades)
- Crown depth (front to back)
- Crown height
- Fork Blade diameter at crown (28x20?)
- Fork Blade diameter at dropout (13?)
- Fork blade radius

I've read the design changed somewhat over the years and any info woulf help (such as reinforcing gussets inside blades at crown).

Thanks in advance.

mainlyfats

Let the builder know that we await his/her results with baited breath. Don't forget the decals!

Last edited:

rick

box crown forks

there are definitely different versions. Fat Mikey probably knows as much about them as anyone, unless perhaps Scott wants to chime in....

Retro Dude

Yes, definitely.

The builder I talked to was luke warm about building one. I think if I give him fully detailed & dimensioned drawings he may warm up to it. Plus there's a guy who does contract machining work for me that can mill the crown.

Thanks

chefmiguel

Missed this the first time around, what frame are you looking to build this around? I know Jakozilla has a sweet one (Groovy made) built around Bontrager specs.

Place me on bated breath line.

Jassie06

Mine are noted to be "Tange Prestige Double Butted Tubing".

2ep7kzr.jpg

fxqwpj.jpg

orsehl.jpg

121pbmg.jpg

Jassie06

Crown is 4.263" wide x 1.145" deep x 1.134" tall.
The outer ends are radiused, appears to be about 1/2" radius, possibly 1/2 of depth.
The blades have a face of 1.087" at the top and .492" at the dropout.
The blade depth into the wheel space is .828" at the crown and .5" at the drop out.
The dropout appears to have a 1.017" diameter.

There is a significant sweep to the legs and I always thought of the forks as "suspension" because they do have enough give to act as such.

I should add that mine was what I understand to be one of a few 16 1/2" frames in that model for the year and I can't say whether or not one fork size fits all.

All that being said, has there been any found for sale?
Maybe even a trashed bike might cost less than undertaking that reproduction.

Jassie06

Oof.
Man I want to your bike Jassie.
That's my favorite Fat of all time.

It cost enough that the dealer paid for the custom paint job out of his share, but it did come in under 24 pounds for our efforts.
I asked for a sunrise.. or was it sunset? 1988 was a while ago.
212b98p.jpg

But then there is it's predecessor, the MountainKlein from earlier times.
It was forgiving where the Fat tended to teach me forgotten lessons about gravity.
Unfortunately the company went the way of Fat City too but both bikes are still hanging around here although tweaked down just a bit for comfort. Sure glad I haven't had to replace cables on the Klein though.
2ykxtt0.jpg

51en2h.jpg

Last edited:

Retro Dude

Crown is 4.263" wide x 1.145" deep x 1.134" tall.
The outer ends are radiused, appears to be about 1/2" radius, possibly 1/2 of depth.
The blades have a face of 1.087" at the top and .492" at the dropout.
The blade depth into the wheel space is .828" at the crown and .5" at the drop out.
The dropout appears to have a 1.017" diameter.

Awesome, thanks for the measurements.

All that being said, has there been any found for sale?
Maybe even a trashed bike might cost less than undertaking that reproduction.

Haven't put on a full court press for one...yet. This is starting off as a design exercise - hoping to get a local builder to make one for me.

BTW: I 2nd the "Favorite Fat", that is sweet!

Lost box crown

I had a nice box crown fork that was stored in my father-in-law's garage. Somehow it was lost in the divorce.

So many years later and, damn, I still miss her and tear up when I think about her (the fork, I mean).

Stingercut

I had a nice box crown fork that was stored in my father-in-law's garage. Somehow it was lost in the divorce.

So many years later and, damn, I still miss her and tear up when I think about her (the fork, I mean).

That priceless work of art no doubt has been found a use as a garden implement or some such sacriligeous utilitarian purpose.