Idea for something...

Doug Carter

Staff member
With the lack of places to sell things in the U.S. for vintage stuff outside of ePay, plus the sales rules at the MTBR forums, the heavy classified traffic on Retrobike got me to thinking.

Would anyone be interested in a vintage MTB classifieds site?

Purely classifieds, no discussion forums or anything, and free to list. Think it would get used?

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
It would be nice to have it tied to this or another forum. eBay does suck in some ways, but the protections for buyers are good, if sometimes onerous for sellers. I'd like to be able to cross-link who is listing classifieds and their longer-term online personas.

Oirad

Doug, I concur with the others. It's a good idea and spreading the news by word of
"mouth" (i.e. the Internet) is so quick that such a list would catch on.

-- Oirad

Doug Carter

Staff member
Ok, I got in the first decent ride (albeit on pavement) on the new.old Wicked, and it allowed me to do some thinking. I came home, dried off, and started to put this together.

The basic site and forum is up and running, and active for registrations, but I have not set up ANY forums or even the details of the way anything will be structured. I'll probably do that during the F1 race tomorrow morning, and everything should be done and ready for posting by the Sunday night football game. :D I haven't even run through the Control Panel yet to control the way graphics, photos or registration takes place. Don't bother posting anything until I give the go-ahead tomorrow.

You can find a sneak preview here: http://www.oldschoolmtbclassifieds.com/forums

Seeing as how oldschoolmtb.com isn't being used anymore, I figured I'd take back the intellectual property of the old logo I did. ;)

Get your stuff ready to sell, because now there is a good place for us that doesn't involve eBay or paying fees. :)

More tomorrow,

d

Kirk Pacenti

Question...

Doug, On the Classic Rendezvous forum, there is a very narrow definition of "classic" or in this case, "Old-School". Iirc, the accepted definition of classic there is anything from just before WWII up to 1983. Do you have a date range in mind you'd like to see observed for items being listed for sale on the new site? 1979 would probably be a good starting point and 1994 would be a good cut off year. Imo, 1994 represents the zenith of hard-tail mountain bikes as a "breed"... but I'd be willing to include anything as late as 1995... Cheers, and good luck with the new site! KP

IF52

Doug,

Great idea. And just in time as I plan on clearing out a lot of the stuff in my bike parts room.

rthomer

Placing a cut off date can be kind of tricky and limiting. Fat City made bikes well past 95, along with other significant MTB contributors in the industry such as Ibis, Ritchey etc. Then there's folks like Paul's Components, Phil Wood, Chris King etc. who still make "new" old school parts commonly used in resto's,
so how do you deal with that?
And I'm assuming "frames for sale" would be included in a section somewhere on the site.

IF52

Placing a cut off date can be kind of tricky and limiting. Fat City made bikes well past 95, along with other significant MTB contributors in the industry such as Ibis, Ritchey etc. Then there's folks like Paul's Components, Phil Wood, Chris King etc. who still make "new" old school parts commonly used in resto's,
And I'm assuming "frames for sale" would be included in a section somewhere on the site.

That's a very good point. Think of the fact that Cane Creek now makes a 1 inch 'classic' headset specifically for the reason that there are people who are enthusiastic about 'vintage' bikes and need a high quality headset option.

Doug Carter

Staff member
Ok guys, it's open for postings. I will be making changes and alterations to it all day today, but you can start posting and "spreading the word." :D

If you have any suggestions for content and organizations

AB

I have to agree with rthomer on this as well. I'd vote for early 80's to 1999 as far as most bikes and parts go. Seems to me that after 1999 things started to change pretty quickly in MTB.

Doug Carter

Staff member
Ok, any ideas how to spread the word without stepping on any toes and making people mad?

:confused:

I'm gonna give it 6-9 months to see if it can work. So far, it's doing well.

Kirk Pacenti

Ok, any ideas how to spread the word without stepping on any toes and making people mad?

:confused:

I'm gonna give it 6-9 months to see if it can work. So far, it's doing well.

If I have learned one thing running my own business over the last 8 years is that it's nearly impossible not to step on toes or make people mad. What you need to remember is that there is a big difference between giving someone offense and someone taking offense. The difference is in your intentions; some people will take offense no matter what you do. Do what you think is right for the site and let the chips fall where they may. I have tried not to do things in order not to step on others toes or make them mad, only to have someone else go for it. Basically your leaving $$$ on the table that will get spent somewhere else. You may as well be the one to earn them. Good luck, KP

Last edited:

colker

Doug,

i can't log, post or anything on the classifieds becasue i don't have a msn, skype, icq etc... i don't have those things nor i want them.

colker

Doug Carter

Staff member
Doug,

i can't log, post or anything on the classifieds becasue i don't have a msn, skype, icq etc... i don't have those things nor i want them.

colker

Sorry Flav, I just noticed this. Not sure what you mean, the only required registration fields are name and location. You don't need any of those other means of internet communication to be a part of the forums here or there.

Well, just about 3 months of the classified stand-alone forum, and it has had very slow progress, and not so much traffic. I am not an active member of too many other bike communities, so I'm not able to promote it like it should be. Word of mouth isn't working, and I'm not going to keep spamming other forums with the news of the site.

I'm going to give it another 2-3 months, and if there is not much more growth or activity, I'm going to pull the plug on the OSMTB Classifieds. If you guys want it to stay, it needs to be used and promoted to others in the OSMTB world. ;)

:skull: